Wednesday, April 29, 2009
so where are you now, in this twilight series? i'm on eclipse! if for nothing else than the fact that these books have gotten the world reading again, i'm glad that i've been apart of it! its my dirty little secret and my teenage indulgence. i abandoned the alice in wonderland and the wind up bird chronicle i blogged about a short while back for these vampire romance novels and i'm not ashamed! i find stephanie meyers writing painfully lacking, (she's cackling all the way to the bank, so her literary skills don't matter at all) but i'm a sucker for a vampire who plays the piano, what can i say?
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
i've spent the last week in pretoria and managed to get to get around quite a bit, even attending the outdoor market in irene and i snapped a few pics. it remended me so much of the tokai market, with its tall trees and forest feel, with lots of beautiful antiques on offer as well as the usual suspects.
Friday, April 24, 2009
my friend dom, of griet artist management, asked if beatnik bazaar would like to sponsor a prize at the next kidofdoom gig at the assembly and i was like, 'whaaaat? hell yeah!' so here's a preview of the flyers that are going out, with beatniks liddle logo on it, so proud so proud. beatnik has gone rock 'n roll. so come ye come ye one and all to the merry gig!
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Thursday, April 16, 2009
fellow piscean, lynne, the owner of 'hello again' in town, just the best t-shirt shop that this country has ever seen, tagged me for the creative/kreativ blogger award, so because i was tagged a few days ago, i thought i'd do a post of 7 things that are in my handbag right now.
this pic was taken with my shitty cellphone camera, so please excuse the quality.
mu & me handbag, the wind up bird chronicle, mu & me notebook for all those very important notes that shop owners need to scribble down at all times, ceramic heart saucers which i have been meaning to put on my shop counter, to hold business cards, 2 ipods, one for running and one for the shop and my wallet.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
here is one of the many new tea towels we have in store today. there is also a jugs version of this mug tea towel, in the most beautiful orange your eyesies have ever seen. so remember these when you're wondering what to get mom and gran on mother's day!
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
i found these chairs today and i think they are so innovative and 'recycled chic.' they are totally collapsable, can support any weight and are uber cool, with an even better price tag. i am currently in negotiations to stock these at the bazaar!
Sunday, April 12, 2009
hurry hurry, belle & boo fresh in store and almost sold out already....yes, apparently i am a conservative orderer.....hurry!!!! sarah-jane, your number never saved so i can't call and give you this great news!
Saturday, April 11, 2009
1. when my 6 year old son curls up next to me on the couch and we sip hot chocolate together on cold evenings. we've walked and sometimes run a treacherous road together, more so than many could ever imagine, and i appreciate those small things, like his scent and the way he sings beatles songs in his sleep.
3. horses. these majestic beasts and their healing bond with their chosen humans cannot be replaced by anything.
4. love my friends. without them i could have made the worst decisions in my life; with them i am capable of seeing myself in a better light.
5. music and piano. a trained musician, i've not owned a piano for a while, but i still sing everyday and couldn't survive without music. i have an endless thirst for acquiring music that stirs my soul...those albums are very few and far between, so i do settle for other fun and experimental stuff inbetween!
6. home. the safety, the protection, the endless views over the mountains and the orange and pink hues of the setting sun casting different moods over the landscape. i love it here.
7. cape town. a soulful place. exquisite and generous with its beauty, it fuels my creativity and produces more creative people per square kilometre than just about any other place in the world!
My kreativ blogger awards go out to pattern and perspective, kim gray, fabric fantastic & moments of perfect clarity. Congrats!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
dear bloggers and readers,
i've decided to run a little competition regarding what type of music i should be playing in my shop! if you come up with the best top 20 list of music (albums and artists) that transports my customers into a beautiful fantasy world, i will reward you with:
2 Home Bakes White Mugs accompanied by a tea towel by skinny laminx, entitled 'waiting,' and a beautiful biscuit tea time bowl by home bakes.
mail this post to your friends and lets see who can come up with the best shop music list!
now, most importantly, my favourite music/influences are: ashlee simpson, miley cyrus, prime circle.....ONLY KIDDING guys!!!!!!!!!!
for real now, here goes (!) My favourites of all time: Lark, David Bowie, Kate Bush, PJ Harvey, Dave Matthews, Ben Harper, Sufjan Stevens, Radiohead, The Beatles, Massive Attack, The Police, Fiona Apple. Kings of Leon, Regina Spektor, Goldfrapp, Department of Eagles, Bat for Lashes, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Shins, The Decemberists, The Doves, Death Cab for Cutie, Joanna Newsom, No Doubt, Madness, Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, The Knife, Madness, Moldy Peaches, New Young Pony Club, Nick Cave and The Raconteurs.
that will give you a good idea that i'm into indie folk. now if you come up with a list that doesn't feature these artists, don't worry! i want to be introduced to some new stuff that will also lull my customers into a false sense of security that will inevitably result in a temporary loss of sanity and copious spending.
now remember to send you lists, numbered from 1 - 10, with the album and artist, like so:
1. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
2. Tidal - Fiona Apple
good luck! this runs until the end of april.
besides for coming home from a day spent in town fetching stock and finding a fine from the traffic department, i checked my mail and found that i have won these on auction too! a bunny and log vase by one of my favourite pottery studios of all time, 'vermont' and this gorgeous swallow salt and pepper set!